Thursday, April 29, 2010

Fighting for Eden and that Whole Kindle Thing

Yep!  Isn't that whole Kindle phenomenon just kind of cool?  I mean, even a little bit?  The idea that you can download title after title after title...

So.  After one conversation too many with yet one more literary agent that goes something like this...

Agent:  But...you wrote a literary novel?

Jeff:  Yes.

Agent:  And...why?  There's so much money to be made in thrillers.

I'm sure there is.  I'm also sure that I don't have a thriller novel in me at this time.  (Maybe someday.  Just not now.)  However, what I do have is this enthralling story about a gifted, almost savant-like, young man who becomes one of the greatest peace activists of our time.  Not because of his ideals, mind you, but because his best friend is killed in Iraq.

Fighting for Eden is now available on Kindle storeCheck it out!  Here's the prologue...

The tarmac is weeping pools of lazily dancing rainbows, or so she thinks.  Snapping alert, she peers more closely at them, marveling how that could be and realizing that it is pretty much like something he would say.  She looks around and, automatically, up.  A dark night.  Still, you can't see as many stars as you can at home.  No matter how hard they try.  She wonders how green the hills are now, breaking off her thoughts as the plane's lumbering shriek grows in volume, beginning to envelop her as it backs its way toward her.  Soon, she thinks, staring at the cargo bay doors. 
The plane's engines subside into a quiet ticking and, as if on cue, the crickets once again pick up their lament.  She waits.  Not long now.
Dark figures appear at the edges of the plane in stark relief against the runway lights.  Airport personnel.  And others.  Just like they said.  Setting about this way and that with a solemn, restrained urgency.  One, holding a uniformed clipboard, turns toward her just as a car approaches.  He made it.  She feels a quiet stab of pained joy, then sparks of anger at the thought of seeing him, then guilt that she should be thinking of them at such a moment.  She tries to steel herself but gives up, not having the energy.  Instead she begins wondering if the shimmering off the runway is coming from her own eyes, swimming at the recollection of his booming laugh, his quickly found beaming smile.  Does it matter?  Doors slam.  He is coming.  Both of them.   She turns.


Of Fighting for Eden, Manya says:
"It's all there: wonderful story with the delightfully contrasting and picturesque locales of an intellectually-stimulating UW with the fierce freedom of the horse-bound Yakima Valley of my childhood.  The characters are all thoughtfully crafted: Andrew's hapless rambling thoughts about how the world must work are a hoot!  Jake's larger than life warrior cut tragically short.  And, then there is Jessie.  Fiery, indomitable, the girl I wished I could have been!  I loved this story!  It's stayed with me ever since I read it!"

Rebecca Anjewierden says:
"I really liked this novel.  It's a great story.  Really thoughtful and entertaining.  I'm still not sure what to make of Jake, but I certainly loved Jessie.  What she does on that Christmas night at the farm with Andrew (I won't say anymore!) was something I had never dreamed could happen.  Thank you, Jeff, for writing it!"

I hope you like it!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment