Sunday, May 30, 2010

Madeleine Albright - Read My Pins

Regardless of your political affiliation, Madeleine Albright was well-regarded as Secretary of State.  As a woman in this position, she had some different decisions to make that her male peers did not - wardrobe, colors, jewelry.  Her now-famous pin collection began when she criticized Saddam Hussein for refusing to disclose complete descriptions of Iraq's weapons program, and the Iraqi press responded with a poem in which they referred to her as an "unparalleled serpent".  When the time came for her to meet with Iraqi officials, she remembered a pin she'd had for years - a gold snake wrapped around a branch with a diamond dangling from its mouth.  She simply wore it to the meeting without drawing any extra attention to it in any way.  When the meeting was over, she noted that it was just her way of sending a message.

Thus began a brilliant engagement of jewelry with a message.  A touring exhibit featuring 200 of her pins is now traveling the country with the next stop in Washington DC.  The exhibit showcases her wonderful pin collection, pointing out both its historical significance and the way it illustrates the power of a well-placed accessory.  Albright says, "I believe the right symbol at the correct time can add warmth or needed edge to a relationship.  A foreign dignitary standing alongside me at a press conference would be happier to see a bright, shining sun attached to my jacket than a menacing wasp."  Many of her pins also had humorous components.

I was delighted to read about Ms. Albright's way of engaging individuals and the world with her jewelry.  She took her pin collection to a whole new level by carefully selecting the right pin for a particular occasion.  When she purchased the pins initially, she may not have known just how it might play a role in world politics.  But for some reason, something about each pin struck her as being able to be meaningful.

One of my personal delights is sharing a moment of beauty with a complete stranger.  A unique and beautifully-crafted accessory can make that happen multiple times a day.  Whether a charming hat, a colorful necklace, a funky purse, or an intricate jacket, that item becomes a way to bring a smile to the face of those you encounter.

Beyond that, however, is the personal delight I derive from choosing to adorn myself with something meaningful to me.  I have some items in my personal collection that I wear for very particular reasons: when I'm feeling down, or overwhelmed, or celebratory.  In this case, those things have become talismans for me, instilled with great power to guide me through the time.  The item didn't have that power to begin with - I put it there myself and gave it that personal meaning for me.

Lately, we've had several women come into the gallery seeking a "divorce ring."  It was their sole purpose to replace the wedding ring they'd faithfully worn for years, only to see its meaning destroyed, with a lovely and meaningful ring of their own choice.  Purchased by her, for her, to be enjoyed by her, and who cares what anyone else thinks about it.  These rings tend to be a little larger, and with colored stones in them.  I've been fascinated to see that several women chose a ring with a garnet in it.  Unbeknownst to them, the energetic quality of energy enhances personal power.

Our Pacific Northwest is notoriously low-key in terms of style.  Muddy colors, styles so simple as to be style-less, and accessories to match (if any at all).  That makes it take all the more courage to wear something special because we've all learned that it's bad to stick out.  I've had customers tell me they could "never" wear that jacket (or necklace, or scarf, or...) because they'd stand out.  Indeed, it is much more comfortable to be invisible.  But I feel we do ourselves such a disservice with this attitude.

And the thing is, it takes just a slight change in thinking to make it happen.  It begins with honoring your self.  Allowing yourself to indulge in the cheerfully colored shirt, for a start.  You'll feel so wonderful wearing it that you may wish to have another day a week to repeat the experience.  And then, a really cool thing happens.  As others see you do that, they feel like they have permission to do it too!  I LOVE when that happens!

So here's your challenge.  Before June ends, find one way to honor yourself with something that makes you feel fabulous, and see how it changes your view of yourself when you wear it!

Manya

www.ManyaVeeSelects.com

No comments:

Post a Comment